Ministry & Mission (M&M) Report
The LCAQD Departments presented written and video reports ahead of the Convention of the Synod. The videos can be viewed on the Convention of Synod website: https://qld.lca.org.au/events/synod/
Ministry and Mission Council Chair Carl Eckermann and Director Rev David Schmidt were available to take questions from the floor.
The report and video outlined that for Ministry & Mission, being “called according to God’s purpose” is about understanding their identity – that is, who they are and what they are here for. The role of the Department for Mission and Ministry – which became a Commission for Mission through Synodical resolution on Saturday – is to work alongside congregations and pastors, and each of their Communities of Grace, to better understand what this might look like in their unique context.
Director for Ministry & Mission Pastor David Schmidt and Assistant Director Kathy Matuschka shared some stories that metaphorically demonstrated Christ’s call for each one of us to “Go” (Matthew 28:19-20) and welcome people to encounter the transforming grace of Jesus; this is the core purpose of the approximately 220 Communities of Grace that comprises the Lutheran Church of Australia, Queensland District (our congregations, worship centres, church plants, educational institutions, aged care, camp sites and other agencies. Together, they are one church, with one purpose, though many ministries.)
Sponsorship and grants from the Lutheran Laypeople’s League (LLL) have multiplied the impact of Mission & Ministry’s local initiatives.
Over the past Synodical term, the Department for Mission and Ministry has supported communities through:
- Drought and Flood Response – distributing over $120.000 through various funds including LCA Disaster and Welfare Fund and Qld Lutheran Giving
- Various Grants (Mission Outreach Grant and Mission Resource Grant)
- Working with Lutheran Services’ Origins Stories Project and supporting its Lenten Appeal
- Supporting two Ministry Summits
- District-wide communications, such as the website, social media and eNews
- Taking a lead or support roles in LYQ events such as Replenish/Grace Laced Retreats and Young Adult’s Gathering.
Comments from delegates encouraged M&M to continue the mission they have been given in the wider church, especially as they transition to the Commission for Ministry.