Places of Worship
We often use the word 'church' to mean a group of people (or 'congregation') that gathers for Christian worship (most commonly held on Sundays). The word 'church' can also mean the place where messed up yet forgiven people (fancy term is 'sinner/saint'), are woven together to encounter God's promise of forgiveness and hope through word and action.
For learning about God, the Bible is our central text. We also refer to this book as 'God's word.' But we also refer to Jesus as 'God's word'.
The Lutheran Church of Australia Queensland District has over 112 places of worship from Far North Queensland to northern NSW, and west to Emerald and Charleville.
LCAQD places of worship include Aboriginal congregations in north Queensland and Asian congregations at various sites within South-East Queensland.
View our map below to find a place of worship near you.
Early Childhood & School Education
With a mission of 'living and teaching God's word within the community', Queensland Lutheran Early Childhood Services (QLECS) administers 59 early childhood and school-aged services across Queensland and northern New South Wales, Victoria and Tasmania.
Lutheran Education Queensland (LEQ) offers an inspired, Christian educational experience that sets their students apart – as creators, collaborators, and innovators. The 26 Lutheran Schools and colleges are locally managed and operate in partnership with congregations.
Lutheran Youth of Queensland
Lutheran Youth of Queensland, or LYQ, has a vision to see young people and families 'Alive in Christ; Passionate in Service.' You'll see LYQ having lifelong impact in:
- holiday camps
- in-school leadership training
- young adult ministry
- campsite ministry
- training and support for congregations in their ministry to young people.
Aged & Community Services
Lutheran Services draws on a rich Lutheran tradition of care for the individual, family and community. Together with the congregations that founded us, we have served the people and communities of Queensland since 1935.
We provide quality, contemporary support for older people, young people and their families, people living with a disability or mental illness, and families experiencing domestic violence and hardship.
Lutheran Services provides retirement and residential aged care in supported living communities located in desirable coastal, inner-city and rural locations, as well as home care services for those in their own homes.
As an accredited NDIS provider, Lutheran Services focuses on helping individuals who live with a disability and/or mental illness achieve their personal goals for growth and development.
Lutheran Services provides domestic violence support services for families in various locations in south-east Queensland.
Other Ministries & Services
Other ministries of the LCAQD include:
- Religious education in state schools
- Lutheran Women of Queensland
- Lutheran Drought Aid Queensland
- Queensland Lutheran Giving which facilitates benevolent endeavours through the following funds:
- Necessitous circumstances
- Disaster relief
- Religious instruction in state schools
- Friends of Lutheran Archives Queensland (FoLAQ). Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Lutheran Services coordinates and supports our volunteer Lutheran hospital chaplains, who work ecumenically with chaplains from other Christian denominations.
- School and Early Childhood Chaplaincy: are managed by LEQ and QLECS (see above).
- Lutheran Youth of Queensland and the Department of Ministry & Mission work in partnership to support young adults and develop them as leaders.
Contact us to find out more.