Growing Vital Churches
Resources & Tools for Meaningful Ministry
What does being church look like in the twenty-first century?
How do we as a faith community engage people with God's love in our everyday lives?
The resources below are thought starters to help your ministry space grow. The first four headings are based on what current research is teaching us about where to put our focus and resources if we want to grow vital churches.
The first three are core qualities measured by the Australian National Church Life Survey (NCLS).
The bottom four sections are about focused mission support and activities of the LCAQD.
NCLS Research is a world leader in research focused on connecting churches and their communities. Their website offers a variety of tools and resources suitable for church use.
Pivot conversations' are opportunities to reflect on the impact of disruptions, what we are each learning, and what God might be doing among us and within us during challenging times.
- At the LCAQD Pastors conference 2020, participants took time to reflect on what they are noticing and learning. Here is a summary: 2020 A year to forget or an opportunity to connect discussion paper.
- The following tool is designed so you can work through it independently, but if you prefer we can facilitate it within your congregation: A planning tool to help your congregation prepare for 2021 (and beyond)
Bethlehem Coopers Plains member Emily Williams has produced a Workshop Guide to help Congregations. It uses scripture references to help them discern their God-given vision. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like the accompanying worksheets.
- Reflecting on videos by Rev Dr Bob Newton, Pastor David Schmidt invites us to consider how we understand ourselves as church, and the impact of this in the current century: Why 'It' No Longer Works
How does a Parish Board or Church Council ensure focus continues to be the 'main thing' especially with so many distractions around compliance and finances and programmes? This document poses rolling questions:
How is your church looking? Here are some vital signs of healthy, sick and dying churches:
- Autopsy of Deceased Church Summary by LCAQD
For more information contact:
07 3511 4018
07 3512 7286
from the Ministry & Mission team.
- You can find an excellent overview by David Schmidt, of some recommended reading resources for Leaders, here.
- Mentoring teenagers and young adults to become leaders? The Fuller Youth Institute has published an excellent article entitled, "Creating a Culture of Keychain Leadership in Your Church".
- You can find some interesting statistics and information from the NCLS about young people, vision and innovation, here.
- See the "Growing Young" resources listed in the Engaging Young People subsection.
- Bring Jesus 2019: Making sense of mission, by Dr Steen Olsen
- Marks of a Healthy Church Reflection Booklet by LCAQD Dept of Ministry and Mission
Alpha Australia answers some of the most searched faith questions in Australia.
Reviewing the current culture of evangelism and our role in reaching out to this generation:
For Church Planting:
Sharing faith through our actions: The Lutheran Services Diaconal Witness Statement is here.
You can read and download a copy of the Young Adult Ministry Report for 2022 here.
- There is an excellent online workshop that explores the themes identified in the Young Adult Ministry Report, during July/Aug 2022. Find out more information by downloading this flyer, or to download a promotional pack to share with your church audience including bulletin articles & PowerPoints, go to https://bit.ly/3NrQvoV
Growing Church Young Booklet by LCAQD Department of Ministry and Mission, is based on concepts from Kara Powell, Jake Mulder, & Brad Giffin, "Growing Young" ver. 1. For more information you can visit the Growing Young Website here.
Two Christian researchers have been listening to the faith and life stories of young Australians. This 17 minute video gives an overview of what they are hearing:
Voluntary Assisted Dying (VAD) became legal in Queensland as of 1st January 2023. Rev Dr Russell Briese, Director, Chaplaincy and Ministry Development for Lutheran Services has prepared a paper for the LCAQD titled ‘Offering Pastoral Care to those seeking Voluntary Assisted Dying’.
Read the paper here.
Please contact Russell Briese with any questions: email@example.com
Does your congregation have a brilliant mission idea, but lacks the funds to get it off the ground?
Perhaps a grant can help you!
An Australia Mission Resources Grant of up to $5,000 will assist your church with resourcing its mission. You can apply for one of these at any time.
An Australia Mission Outreach Grant of up to $25,000 to kickstart your local mission project. Applications are submitted annually, with the successful congregation announced at our annual LCAQD Synod.
You can view the LLL promotional video here.
For more information about these grants, follow the links above, then get in touch with Pastor David Schmidt: David.firstname.lastname@example.org
07 3511 4018
or Kathy Matuschka Kathy.email@example.com
07 3512 7286 from the LCAQD Ministry & Mission team.
The LCAQD Ministry & Mission department partners with congregations and agencies to assist people in need due to drought, bushfire or flood.
How can I help?
- Pray for families under stress, for an end to the drought and protection from further flooding
- Let us know if you hear of someone who could use a hand
- Partner with a rural congregation to visit, listen and encourage
- Offer free holiday accommodation for those affected by drought or other disasters
- If you have the appropriate skills, offer to farm sit
- Educate yourself and others
Read more about our LCAQD Drought response. Make a tax deductible donation to assist those who have been affected by the Queensland drought. Donate
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org
Read more about our LCAQD response to 2022 Rain and flooding disasters. Make a tax deductible donation to assist those who have been affected by natural Queensland disasters. Donate
Get in touch
For more information or suggestions, please contact:
Kathy in the Department of Ministry and Mission
Phone (07) 3512 7286
LCAQD’s Queensland Lutheran Giving (QLG) has a heart for making a difference… reach out and connect with us.
QLG provides a mechanism to connect people who want to make tax deductible donations to support ministry and mission in Queensland with people who could do with a hand.
QLG operates five funds:
- Necessitous Circumstances Fund
- Scholarship Fund
- Australian Disaster Relief Fund
- Religious Instruction in Government Schools
- LCAQD Public Library
By setting up a project within one of these funds, LCAQD congregations and other agencies can offer their supporters the incentive of tax-deductibility as they support projects that make a difference in local communities.
To donate by Electronic Funds Transfer:
Credit card payment is our preferred donation method. We are also able to receive donations by EFT, but we need to ensure that we collect the necessary details from our donors. To donate by EFT, please contact Mia and she will guide you through our EFT payment process: email@example.com Phone: 07 3511 4000
Or donate by credit card using this link:
Here to Help
Ministry & Mission Department
Director for Ministry and Mission
07 3511 4018
Assistant Director for Ministry and Mission
07 3512 7286
For more information, links and services, head to our contact page.
Department of Ministry & Mission
Engaging people with God's love in everyday life
The Department of Ministry and Mission exists to support, equip, empower and encourage congregations, departments and agencies of the LCA Queensland District to develop healthy disciple-making cultures within their communities.
We do this through collaborative relationships at the local, district and church-wide levels. Through conversations we seek to discern what God is already doing in our communities. We work closely with the LCA's Local Mission Department to provide support and resources to help us go and grow as Jesus' followers.
Have a question?
The District Office is here to assist.